Mr. George, our founder, believed in treating customers like royalty and instilled in our associates the importance of being friendly and knowledgeable.
He once said, “The aim is to learn all you can about the business to do the best you can for the customer.” And he strived to do just that by making shopping feel more like a pleasure, adding innovations like air conditioning that other stores didn’t have.
His goal was to operate a better store than the competition by always providing a clean and well-stocked store with grocery items fairly priced. This commitment to customers continues today, especially now, during the coronavirus.
Publix continues to provide a pleasant store environment and personalized service with additional measures to ensure the health and well-being of our community. Throughout the company, our associates are working around the clock to serve the evolving needs during this time.
And with the well-being of our customers and associates in mind, we have responded to the pandemic by
- cleaning, sanitizing and disinfecting according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines. This includes increased focus on high-touch surfaces. For instance, throughout each day, an associate cleans PIN pads.
- encouraging social distancing. We have posted signs, placed visual reminders of appropriate spacing at registers, added one-way directional markings in our aisles and provided recurring intercom announcements.
- installing plexiglass partitions in our checkout and customer service areas, as well as our pharmacies. This barrier between cashiers and customers, in addition to frequent disinfections in high-touch areas, offers extra protection for customers and associates.
- offering contactless pay, which enables customers to place a smartphone or contactless pay-enabled credit or debit card near a contactless-enabled device, rather than swiping or inserting a card into the PIN pad. We accept contactless pay through our Publix app, Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay.
- offering online shopping. Customers can order their groceries from home for delivery or curbside pickup in select stores. Our Publix Pharmacies now offer home delivery for most prescriptions through a collaboration with ScriptDrop and a $5 fee.
Our commitment to personalized service is what separates Publix from other major retailers. Mr. George’s beliefs, including treating customers like royalty, continue to influence our associates today.